How will this show benefit you
Dr. Lindsay Bira provides some tools to improve your life and ways to deal with and manage stress. She explains how you can use these tools in your own life and uses them to help transform our community into leading happier lives. We cover mindfulness, meditation and breathing techniques that help to produce a better quality of life. Dealing with thoughts and feelings that produce stress can be managed to utilize the techniques covered in this show. When we utilize these tools, we are less likely to fall into negative behaviors like addictions, relapse, depression, illness, PTSD, trauma and many other life problems. These tools are especially important when living a recovery-based lifestyle.
About Dr. Lindsay Bira
Dr. Lindsay Bira is a therapist, consultant, and speaker in San Antonio, TX. She is on staff at UT Health Science Center San Antonio (UTHSCSA), an adjunct professor at a local university, and in private practice at The Pearl. At UTHSCSA, she focuses on treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) resulting from military combat trauma at the VA and SAMMC hospitals.
In Dr. Lindsay Bira’s office at The Pearl, she is dedicated to treating mental health disorders and helping people make changes of all kinds (see Therapy + Coaching). She primarily uses a cognitive-behavioral (CBT) orientation, which is the gold standard of therapy and is highly effective for many issues. CBT trains the brain and body to interact better and respond more appropriately to the environment. She also leads a community group focused on using mindfulness to identify values and shift perspectives for a healthier, happier life.
Ideas & Insights
Dr. Lindsay Bira
- It’s about developing a practice that is going to help you accept your current condition. And it’s very easy to reach for things that are quick fixes. That could be avoidance if there’s a situation that simply stinks. You don’t want to deal with it so you can just avoid it. That might lock in a different problem. Or even substances. Sometimes emotions and situations can be so overwhelming, that we want that quick fix. That again creates different problems. So it’s actually plugging in those different things that are actually going to train your brain and train your body to begin to respond differently.
- Adjusting the breath a certain way, we can actually change the way our bodies responding very immediately. If we make that a practice, then we are just changing our baseline of response where we are more relaxed, we are healthier and when this stressor does happen, we have that tools in the back pocket and as soon as we start breathing in a different way, our body quickly follows.
- One thing that we start off doing is just creating awareness in between the thing that happens, your perception or interpretation of the thing that happens and the following physiological reactions.
- I became fascinated how the brain can have a completely different reality based on a slight mixed up of neurotransmitters.
- No matter what is going on in our lives, we can always, always come back to our breath. It’s a key anchor that we can tap into at any time.
- Mindfulness is a way of being. You can plug that in at any second of your day.
- I think that’s where a lot of addiction comes from. There is some sort of trauma and there’s thinking that comes along with it. Without that shift in mindset, then you start to have all sorts of other problems. Your life spins out of control.
- The thing that I have been able to do with my breath is drug-like. It’s very powerful! I call it being intimate with my breath.
- You can look at things as a negative or a positive. In reality, we are just going through a process to a life I am trying to create, that I chose to create.
Do you want to experience more?
I will send you some other tools to help you get to your next level using some of the things we covered on this show.
- A free one-on-one coaching call with me where we will get clear on getting to your next level. This is truly an experience in its own right and will not last long so act quickly.
- I have a framework to send you that illustrates the Recovery Squared belief process and a roadmap to transformation.
- We are building a community around recovery squared and when you sign up you can be added our exclusive Secret Facebook Group where we can connect with other tribe members. I want to build relationships and build our tribe, so I’m excited for you to be a part of this community.