How will this show benefit you
In this episode, Steve Austin shares with listeners that the most important thing to remember in recovery is the practice of self-care. Through his experiences, he knows those hard days will not last and that our worst moments do not define us. If you’ve ever felt shame for something that’s happened in your past, you’ll be inspired to hear that a suicide attempt wasn’t the end of this guest’s story, but rather just the beginning.
About Steve Austin
Steve Austin is a Worship Pastor in Birmingham, Alabama for the Radical Hope Church. He is a family man with two small children, and a writer whose work has appeared in places such as The Huffington Post and The Good Men Project, among others. Steve grew up in the Bible belt with a very conservative Christian family, and when he was a small child, was molested by an alcoholic neighbor. He shares his struggles and powerful story of recovery in his Amazon best-selling book, “From a Pastor to a Psych Ward: Recovery from a Suicide Attempt is Possible.”
Ideas & Insights
- (Radical Hope Church) is a church without labels, we have people from all walks of life.
- My story is one of shame and secret-keeping that almost killed me.
- I learned to reform early as the result of my childhood sexual abuse.
- It is insane the amount of (counseling and therapy) that I remember and I wasn’t even four years old.
- I quickly learned that you just don’t talk about it; I had to keep up appearances.
- The effects from that one incident rippled through my life for the next 25 years.
- I thought my only way out, my only relief and the only right thing to do for my family was to kill myself.
- God said, “I’m not finished with you yet.”
- We share recovering from religion story where we grew up in the churches and we kind of thought is was a certain way and it turned out it really wasn’t.
- Recovery is really just a spot in the spectrum of transformation.
- You have this shame and self-judgment and you know that’s the hell that many people live in.
- I had to be really humble and just allow whatever came into my life and be grateful for that.
5 Hacks to Loving Yourself
Do you want to experience more?
I will send you some other tools to help you get to your next level using some of the things we covered on this show.
- A free one-on-one coaching call with me where we will get clear on getting to your next level. This is truly an experience in its own right and will not last long so act quickly.
- I have a framework to send you that illustrates the Recovery Squared belief process and a roadmap to transformation.
- We are building a community around recovery squared and when you sign up you can be added our exclusive Secret Facebook Group where we can connect with other tribe members. I want to build relationships and build our tribe, so I’m excited for you to be a part of this community.